Wednesday, October 22, 2008



“My mother is living with us and she has age onset dementia. Her demands are growing as she becomes increasingly more frail. I have had to put several of my activities on hold at the expense of my health. The supports in the community do not allow the convenience of my activities as the services are rationed. I am still working as there is no financial incentive to look after an aging parent in your home. Charging them rent seems unforgivable! Burnout will be just another fact of life as our culture is NOT equipped/mentally prepared/financially responsible to take care of our aging population.”


“My Dad is 87 years old and lives with my Sister in Montreal, I live in Mississauga and visits as often as I can but I can only visit for one week at a time because of other committement. Yet I feel guilty that my sister will get burnout very fast. The Government encourages us to keep our aging parents at home for as long as it is possible yet there is nothing in place to help out example some financial assistance to be able to hire some one a few hours per day so the care giver can get some free time. Any advise on this issue would be gratefully appreciated. I believe that we should be lobbing the Govenment to put something in place to make sure that our senior years are not too stressed.”


“This problem is worse then you think. I am a personal care home operator in Saskatchewan, Canada who lives in a suite in the home. Because the economy is booming and seniors are on fixed incomes, I have great difficulty attracting and retaining staff. I have gone as long as six months with having even eight hours away from the pch. I have multiple illness and suffer from extreme exhaustion. I am unable to sell the business for what it is worth or for an amount near to what I've invested in it. The government will not step in and help pch opertors.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

- it is a sad state of affairs that this lady had to consider charging her elderly mother rent in order to support her- Def something wrong with this picture

Anonymous said...

It's very unfortunate that only people with money can afford to put the elderly in homes and care facilities or hire a PCW to come into the home to look after their aging parent. These people receive adequate care and supports. But, those children of the elderly who have their parents living w/them do not have this luxury. They have a lot of extra emotional stress and financial burden looking after their parent. In this scenario, usually only one sibling/child is 'responsible' or has the space to accommodate the aging parent. This causes disputes and added stress in many families...as has happened in mine.